Sunday, August 19, 2012

fish hunter...

salmon shark

salmon shark

Amidst the woodland creatures and mushrooms taking shape these days, a beast of a completely different sort popped up. This past week was shark week, and with my growing obsession with wildlife and nature shows, I've been enjoying a lot of shark action these past few days. I thought a shark from my own hands was in order. Somehow, the TV schedule programmers again seem to know what I'm working on (see octopus, as yesterday while finishing up the stitches on this little fellow, I stumbled upon a show about salmon sharks gorging themselves in Prince William Sound in Alaska. The water was full of these ragged looking beasts breaching clear of the water as they lunge for unsuspecting fish. An apex predator getting in on the salmon before they leave the ocean, much like salmon-eating 'resident' orca populations. This could turn into a tangent about how many creatures and ecosystems are dependent on salmon and their importance on the coast, but we'll focus on the shark for now.

This little salmon shark is stitched from a worn pair of blue jeans, and an underside of white silk. As I watched that shark program yesterday I noted how ragged those salmon sharks were, and thought this one could use some boro-stye patches. He is a small little shark, only 8.5 inches long, which is considerably smaller than the two sharks i made for my nephews, and this one has real gills too. While he's focused on tasty fresh salmon, I wouldn't totally take my eye off him either. He is in the shop.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm a bit reluctant to have her go anywhere, but the red fox vixen is in the shop now too.

--------------------------------------------------------

The weather has settled in a bit grayer and cooler today, and I think I'll get back to stitching mushrooms... Wishing you a happy Sunday.

1 comment:

david at studio tuesday said...

Awesome, the gills are my favorite part.