Monday, February 18, 2008

warm head & cold sheep...


The boy quite liked my Koolhaas, and admittedly I enjoyed the project, so it wasn't hard to convince me to make another one. But in the interest of not having any matchy-matchy episodes, I wanted them to look as different as possible. The Malabrigo was a perfect solution. The colour variations in this yarn create and entirely different hat, but is just as soft and squishy as version one. I've never worked with Malabrigo before, but I will be returning.

There isn't as much stitch definition as the Cashmerino, which I suppose is partly from the slight fuzz of the merino, and partly from the variegated colour. But man is this stuff soft.

And in the world of yarn to be, the clear sunny day that was Sunday turned out to be the day Sally, Cookie and Jumper lost their winter coats. Yup, those are my folks' three ewes, fat with babies and usually pushy women, but once flipped on their backs remarkable docile. The women who does the shearing is surprisingly adept with the large animals, considering her own small size. Good thing the sheep have a barn to stay warm in for the cold nights still to come; however it's good to get them sheared before birthing as otherwise the little lambs have trouble finding the milk.

These first two shots show Sally (the Suffolk) putting up with her fate, while the bottom shows Cookie (brown) and Jumper (white) looking a bit lighter (and perhaps sheepish?) after their shearing. Soon enough my mom and I will be washing and carding in prep for spinning. I still haven't tried out this spinning stuff, but we are booked for a workshop in early April to figure it all out.

And yes, this new hat has distracted me from Project Spectrum, but I'll be back on track shortly with the red gloves. Promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, how fun! I can't wait to see what you do with all of that wool. I think the sheep handled the whole situation with a lot of dignity. ;)

PS The hat looks great! I bet it is so warm.