Sunday, October 14, 2012

October, 'tis...

and the leaves came down

wee

sweet!

happy halloween?

I wish you could walk with me, through the woods. See how the ground has soaked up the new rain, how the moss has turned green again overnight. With the rain comes its companion the wind, and I can hear the swoosh of the southeasterly gust moving through the tree tops. But down here on the trail it's calm, quiet but for the rustle underfoot and the steady croak of little tree frogs.

Birds of all sizes are busy these days, from the wee winter wren in the underbrush with its "chip, CHIP CHIP!" to the plaintive calls of the northern flickers in the forest canopy. Winter's breath is just around the corner, and each day the woods change as they prepare. The forest floor is becoming carpeted with maple leaves, and if you listen quietly you can hear the plink plunk plink as a soggy yellow leaf makes its way through the branches to fall to earth.

I walk quietly, sturdy boots taking soft steps on the dirt paths. My pace is slow but steady, owl eyes darting constantly to try and see everything, deer ears straining for every sound. And then there, on the path, is a deer, although it takes me a moment to match the shape with memory. This deer is twisted, decaying, bones poking out through sodden fur and a macabre grin below empty eye sockets. I contemplate it, saddened but fascinated, and pondering whether I can salvage some of those bones. I will leave it a bit, but there might be some treasure there, a form of reverence for a once majestic creature. There are bits and pieces at every turn, if one is looking - laurel berries to dye with, chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms for eating, fallen leaves to admire. It's all a form of reverence, really.

---------------------------------------------------

I might be absent from here for a bit. I need to do some thinking. I will probably still be posting things over on flickr and anything new for the shop will be posted on facebook too. Hope your Sunday is going well.

3 comments:

Margie Oomen said...

beautiful post k
take what ever time you need to think
we will be here

Kathrin said...

I also wish I could walk with you through the woods. So understand the need to take a break every once in while from blogging and connecting through the web. I just listened to a lecture by John Cleese about creativity and how important it is to create a time/space sanctuary. Have a good time away and I'll look forward to your return.
Warm regards,
Kathrin

Kathrin said...

I also wish I could walk with you through the woods. So understand the need to take a break every once in while from blogging and connecting through the web. I just listened to a lecture by John Cleese about creativity and how important it is to create a time/space sanctuary. Have a good time away and I'll look forward to your return.
Warm regards,
Kathrin