Monday, November 08, 2010

autumn yellow knitting on a sunday

autumn leaves socks

yesterday was a quiet one at home. i spent most of the morning hunched over my work table (aka the dining table) working on a couple of projects. one of those was these socks, in a saturated yellow that reminds me of the maple leaves outside. this is the interlocking leaves pattern, free from knitty. i've been wanting to make it for awhile, but hadn't decided on a yarn. meanwhile, i've had this yarn from trish at indigo moon for awhile as well. so finally the two have met, and i'm thinking it's a perfect match. i'm already much farther along than shows in these photos.

autumn leaves socks

while working away, i heard the raucus cackling of a stellar's jay outside, and i peered out to see this handsome fellow flitting around. they are lovely to look at, but i don't much enjoy the way they assert themselves so strongly over the little birds trying to get at the feeder. poor little juncos and chickadees dart off into the nearby trees to wait until he leaves. he does have me thinking about stitching a jay up in cloth though, a layered assortment of black and blue.

stellar's jay

i'm also thinking about adding some 8x10 prints of some of my nature shots into my shop, some scenery of the wild west coast that i love so much. i'll keep you posted. hope you are easing into the new week - i personally am not looking forward to how it will be nearly dark when i leave work now. we also had our first frost this morning - winter's on its way!

4 comments:

Tara said...

I have never seen that kind of jay before. He's so handsome and regal. I can definitely see his "jay-ness" and would love to see how you translate him into fabric. Oh, and you should definitely offer some of your prints.

Joanie said...

The start of this sock is gorgeous. How clever you are to be able to knit like that. I love the yummy autumnal colour too.

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

I really like the color of the yarn, very earthy. The sock patterns is really pretty too!

Anonymous said...

That jay would make a handsome puppet - I think I still have some blue fabric that "looks like" him. VP